Essential Oils to Boost Immunity This Fall
Every year when the seasons change, our bodies go through a big shift, adapting to the cooler weather and gearing up for shorter days and longer nights. Obviously, sleep and reducing the stress in your daily lifestyle make a huge difference when it comes to keeping your immune system strong, but the absolute biggest thing I rely on in my wellness regimen is essential oils.
I use my essential oils for beauty, skin care, overall health, hormones, cleaning my house, working through emotions, and of course to support my immune system. If you've tried oils and they haven't worked for you in the past, it may be because you were't using good quality ones (if they are sold on a store shelf, this is a big indicator they're not good), or that your body needed support in another area. Essential oils are not medicine, so they cannot be used as such. To get the most benefit out of plant extracts such as oils, you must understand that your body needs to be supported with daily, consistent use - nothing is a quick fix, not even the plant juice!
So what essential oils should you always have in your home?
Some of the most versatile oils to use in your health and wellness regimen are lavender, frankincense, peppermint, lemon and some unique blends called Thieves and Purification. If you’re interested in getting into the many amazing uses of essential oils, I highly recommend the Young Living premium starter kit. It is an amazing value and contains all of the oils designed to get you off to a good start, plus you'll get a gorgeous diffuser to make your home smell delicious all throughout fall.
My Favorite Essential Oils for Immunity
1. Thieves™ – Thieves is the most popular Young Living essential oil blend, hands down. This blend was inspired by the legend of four 15th-century French thieves who formulated a special aromatic combination composed of clove, rosemary, and other botanicals they wore on their bodies to not catch the black plague while robbing the sick. When used daily, Thieves supports healthy immune function, and because the blend includes Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil, it may help maintain a healthy respiratory system. When taken as a dietary supplement, Thieves is perfect to add into your daily wellness regimen to keep your immunity strong.
Tips: Diffuse a few drops of thieves during the day to purify the air, and make your home smell spicy and delicious! You can also apply a couple drops to the bottom of your feet before leaving the house, or add 10 drops to a 10 ml roller bottle and apply topically as needed during the chilly fall season.
2. Oregano – Oregano Vitality, when taken as a dietary supplement, supports a healthy immune system, can help fight off germs, and is also fun to cook with, as it adds so much flavor to foods and savory recipes. Most people who use natural remedies for cold and flu season are familiar with the benefits of taking oregano oil, but choosing good quality oil will deliver the most benefit. Because Oregano contains carvacrol and thymol, two naturally occurring plant phenols, this herb can deliver strong antiseptic and antioxidant effects.
Tip: make your own immune-boosting supplements with Oregano Vitality essential oil in a veggie capsule. Store in the freezer!
3. Ginger– Ginger root contains a very high level of total antioxidants. Antioxidants are substances that help prevent certain types of cell damage, especially those caused by oxidation. More and more research shows that oxidative damage plays a major role in disease today. Ginger essential oil supports a healthy immune system by giving the body a kick of antioxidants. Obviously, it can also be a delicious, spicy addition to many recipes including teas and tonics. Ginger includes the naturally occurring constituents of zingiberene and beta-phellandrene.
Tip: make a wellness tea with honey, lemon juice, and a drop of ginger essential oil! You will want to make sure it's a dietary oil, which is why I recommend Young Living.
4. R.C.– an Essential Oil blend that is a unique combination of Cypress, Spruce, and three types of Eucalyptus (E. globulus, E. radiata, and E. citriodora) oils, and includes the naturally occurring constituent limonene. Although this one is not necessarily an immune-boosting oil, the four different types of eucalyptus in this blend are excellent for the respiratory system, which is so important with the changing weather!
Tip: Rub R.C. on your chest with some coconut oil for a warming, soothing sensation.
5. ImmuPower - a powerful blend of therapeutic-grade essential oils designed to give your immune system all the power it needs to function at its absolute best. It includes Hyssop, Mountain savory, Cistus, Camphor, Frankincense, Oregano, Clove, Cumin, and Dorado azul. This one feels amazing dropped up and down the spine to support the body all throughout the colder months, and also is a great blend to throw in the diffuser to get the benefits of the oils via aromatherapy.
6. Eucalyptus– Young Living is unique in that it is one of the few essential oils producers who distills and sells 3 different types of eucalyptus essential oil. Eucalyptus contains a high percentage of the constituent eucalyptol, a naturally occuring constituent that many brands of mouthwash and cough suppressants use. This oil has a mildly pungent, sweet, and fruity aroma, and is excellent when diffused for aromatic use. You'll breathe easy with this oil around!
Have you tried using high quality essential oils to boost your immunity this fall? If you have, let me know your faves in the comments!
Want to grab your first set of oils and join me? Find out more details here on how to join my community and get access to my tips & tricks.